MONTH-LONG CELEBRATION ENCOURAGES DISCOVERY OF LOCAL PARKS AND RECREATION OPPORTUNITIES
(Lawrenceville, GA., July 3, 2018) – With summer’s arrival, now’s the time to get out and discover the great things happening in Gwinnett County parks. Gwinnett County Parks and Recreation is celebrating National Parks and Recreation Month, an initiative of National Recreation and Park Association, with a variety of activities for residents of all ages and abilities.
The Gwinnett County Board of Commissioners issued a proclamation designating July as Park and Recreation Month. This year’s theme, A Lifetime of Discovery, encourages residents to discover all that parks offer beyond just playgrounds, community recreation centers, sports leagues and summer camps. Several of the month’s planned activities feature a bicentennial twist to celebrate Gwinnett’s 200th birthday.
• July 6 at 6 p.m. – Summer Movie Night at Dacula Park Activity Building, 2735 Old Auburn Avenue in Dacula. Catch a flick with the family at this free event. Refreshments will be provided. All ages, must pre-register online with code DAP31620 or call 678-277-0850.
• July 6 at 6:30 p.m. – Bicentennial Hot Dog Pool Party at Collins Hill Park Aquatic Center, 2200 Collins Hill Road in Lawrenceville. Celebrate Parks and Recreation month with swimming and hot dogs. All ages, $5 per person. All pool rules apply. For more information call 770-127-5347.
• July 9 at 7 p.m. – 200th Birthday Bash Family Night at Lenora Park Pool, 4315 Lenora Church Road in Snellville. Bring the entire family to celebrate at the pool and eat cake. All ages, $5 per person. All pool rules apply. For more information call 770-985-5309.
• July 14 at 10 a.m. – Family Fun Day on the Farm at McDaniel Farm Park, 3020 McDaniel Road in Duluth. Step back in time and enjoy a tour of the farm and Archie’s Garden. There will be concessions, crafts, hayrides, farm animals, music and more. All ages, free to attend. For more information call 770-814-4920.
• July 21 at 10 a.m. – Discover Historic Games at Lawrenceville Female Seminary, 455 South Perry Street in Lawrenceville. Discover games of the 1800s, old-fashioned entertainment, food vendors, face painting and more. All ages, free to attend. For more information call 770-822-5178.
• July 21 at 11 a.m. – Scavenge-ART Hunt at Pinckneyville Park Community Recreation Center, 4650 Peachtree Industrial Boulevard in Berkeley Lake. Gather a list of goodies from nature and build crafty creations to take home. All ages, pre-register by July 20 online with code PVP31410 or call 678-277-0920.
• July 24 at 6:30 p.m. – Button Gwinnett Duel Day at Mountain Park Aquatic Center, 1063 Rockbridge Road in Stone Mountain. It’s a water science kind of day with duels and fun experiments. All ages, $5 per person. All pool rules apply. For more information call 678-277-0870.
• July 27 at 8 p.m. – Nature at Night Hike at McDaniel Farm Park, 3020 McDaniel Road in Duluth. Free event in partnership with Live Healthy Gwinnett to explore the trails under a full moon. Discover the world of nocturnal animals, constellations and more. Ages 8 and up, call 770-814-4920 for more information.
• July 28 at 7 p.m. – Back to School Bash at Alexander Park Amphitheater. Enjoy lawn games, crafts and food vendors before settling down for a movie at dusk. Free admission, all ages. Pre-register with code RJP31652 or call 678-277-0890.
Parks and Recreation Director, John Gentry encourages Gwinnett residents to get outside, and discover the many benefits of parks and recreation. “While you’re in our parks, share your experiences online with the hashtag #DiscoverJuly,” said Gentry. “And be sure to check out www.gwinnettparks.com for upcoming events and activities where you can join the celebration!”